The most beautiful coral necklace in the Arabian Sea. Really like a precious jewel, the pure shores of the Lakshadweep archipelago shimmer and shine in the sun kissed setting, and wink and beckon to every traveler.The set of 36 islands is allied to the Republic of India and at a total area of 32 sq km is her smallest union territory. 51,000 people inhabit only 10 of the islands. The islanders are mainly Muslim and they speak a local version of the Kerala language. The economy survives on fishing and coir making. Only 6 of the islands are open for tourism and only 2 of these are open to non-Indian tourists. Lakshadweep means ‘a hundred thousand islands’ in Malayalam, the local language. However there are only 36 islands having a total area of 32 sq. kilometers. It is the tiniest Union Territory of India with 12 atolls, 3 reefs and 5 submerged banks. Ten Islands are inhabited. They are Agatti, Amini, Andrott, Bitra, Chetlat, Kadmat, Kalpeni, Kavaratti, Kiltan and Minicoy.
How to Reach Lakshadweep
Kochi International Airport links Lakshadweep with the mainland of India. Agatti is the only airport in Lakshadweep with helicopter transfers being available from Agatti to Bangaram Island Resort during monsoon and to Kavaratti through out the year. The flight from Cochin to Agatti takes approximately one hour thirty minutes. Flights operate six days a week.
Best Time to Visit Lakshadweep
The best time to visit Lakshadweep is from September to May, when you can enjoy water sports activities. During the summer season, from March to May, the temperature varies between 22°C to 36°C. This is the ideal time to get into the water and enjoy different sports activities.
The Lakshadweep Islands are characterized by a tropical climate with temperatures rarely rising beyond 35°C.
Where to Stay in Lakshadweep
There are not many places to stay here. The most popular ones are the Bangaram Island Resort and the Agatti Island Resort. There is no indigenous local population so this is an out and out tourist facility. The Bangaram Resort has cottages on the beach; a multi cuisine restaurant with a bar, a library, scuba diving gear on hire, and tons of ambiance. Catamarans, kayaks and sailboats are free; grab and go!
• Trident, Cochin Rs.6350 per night Bristow Road | Willing don Island, Kochi (Cochin) 682003, India (Ranked #43 of 171 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
• Casino Hotel Rs. 4600 per night Willing don island, Kochi (Cochin) 682003, India (Ranked #54 of171 )
• Hotel Fort Queen Rs.3000 per night Manthra Road | Pandikkudy, Kochi (Cochin) 682002, India (Ranked #36 of 171 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
• Agatti Island Star Rated Hotels Rs. 7000 per night
• Seashells Beach Resort Rs.5000per night, SRS 358 near Eastern Side Jetty, Agatti 682553, India (Ranked #1 of 2)
Best restaurant in lakshdweep island
Agatti Island Beach Resort - Agatti Island Agatti Agatti Island, Lakshadweep, 682553, India.
Shopping in Lakshadweep
There is not much shopping to be done in Lakshadweep. You will only find the odd shops selling souvenirs made of coral shells and oysters.
• Snorkeling in the shallow waters of the Bangaram Islands is a popular water sport activity. Both Bangaram and Kadmat islands have diving centers.
• Scuba diving is another very popular water sport in Lakshadweep. With is pristine clear blue waters and coral reefs, scuba diving in Lakshadweep is an extraordinary experience. The Bangaram Island is a renowned spot for scuba diving and is comparable to the Great Barrier Reef and the Maldives. It is an amazing experience and the coral reefs and marine life in these waters are a sight to see! There are beginners courses as well as advanced courses available for those interested and the best time to go scuba diving is between the months of November and March when the waters are as clear as can be.
• Other adventure activities offered to tourists here are deep sea fishing, parasailing, kayaking, canoeing, wind surfing and water skiing
Kadmat, with an area of 8 km, is one of the largest islands which you can enjoy during your Lakshadweep tourism. The flora and fauna of the island is amazing. The beaches offer umpteen opportunities to sunbathe and enjoy water sports. Kadmat is a also a heaven for those looking for peace amidst natural beauty. Honeymooning is another great option in Kadmat, where the thick leaves of coconut Palms form a natural canopy over the whole area.
In Bangaram, the only people that you will come across are the tourists and resort staff. The island figured in the list of top ten secret beaches in the world by Sunday Times Travel Magazine Feb 8th 2004. The idyllic beauty of the island is just perfect to make you feel elated. The unexploited reefs of Banagaram are just loved by divers. Even those who have a lot of experience in diving find a different experience here. Undertake Lakshadweep tourism and explore the underwater world with Beautiful creations like Parrot fish, Porcupine fish, Puffer fishes, Moray eels and other colorful creatures. Apart from this, you can also try out ayurvedic therapies here.
Agatti is also blessed with abundant natural beauty like other Lakshadweep islands, but the significance of Agatti lies elsewhere as well. It is the only island in Lakshadweep that has an airport and in that sense; it is gateway for Lakshadweep tourism. Once in Agatti, don't miss the experience of travelling in fiberglass boats and the country canoes cruises. For adventure freeks, Agatti offers options of snorkeling, kayaking and canoeing
The administrative capital of Lakshadweep islands, Kavaratti is known for its mosques, the Urja mosque being the most popular one. The ceiling is carved out of a single piece of driftwood and is an ideal example of beautiful carving. View variety of colorful fishes and corals without actually getting into water by visiting the Kavaratti Aquarium. Also pay a visit to the Lakshadweep island Museum to view the various artifacts.
• Andrott Island
This one is the largest group of islands in Lakshadweep. The popular attractions here include Hazrat Ubaidullah and the Buddhist archaeological remains.
Minicoy lies in close vicinity of the Maldives Islands and is known for its Tuna Canning Factory. The other attractions include the Lighthouse that was constructed by the Bruisers. The traditional Lava Dance is definitely not to be missed out on your Lakshadweep tourism.
Shopping in lakshdweep Shopping in Lakshadweep &nbs
Things to do in lakshdweep • Snorkeling i
Recommended itenerary for lakshdweep for 5 night 6 days Itinerar
Recommended hotels in Lakshdweep Best recommended ho
How to Reach Lakshadweep Kochi Interna
Lakshadweep archipelago is made up of 36 islands. Only 10 of thes